Wednesday, October 2, 2013

How NOT To Fall Off


So, girl trots through field bareback. Horse canters. She falls off, lands on her feet and hangs on to the reins for dear life until the horse stops.

This is...a very classic example of what not to do. First of all, she's not wearing a helmet.

When coming off a horse, especially at speed, you do not attempt to land on your feet. (Yes, I know some mounted games people do it, but their dismounts are entirely voluntary, they practice it for hours AND one of my worst riding injuries ever came from doing that maneuver wrong).

Second, you don't try to keep hold of the horse. Doing so puts you at risk of being trampled. I don't care if your instructor has taught you to do so - mine did. It's still wrong.

In this case, the girl got it all right and nobody was hurt, but that doesn't mean she was doing the right thing.

2 comments:

  1. Coming from a fox hunting background, I was taught to ALWAYS hold on to my horse. It's a hard habit to break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I refused to get into the habit in the first place. Like I refused to get into the habit of not wearing helmets and beating horses for spooking...

      Delete