Monday, December 16, 2013

Oh...wow.

This is a long one. This is a long one. I hesitated before posting it because I wasn't sure I wanted to give this guy the publicity, but...

Once more, it won't embed, so here's the link.

Video

Let's go through the stupid things this person says one by one.

First of all, he starts saying only women wear helmets and only women promote helmet use. That's not true - the instructor who didn't care whether three year olds wore helmets when riding her horses was emphatically lacking in a Y chromosome.

According to him, it is wrong to promote helmet use. It is even wrong to promote helmet use for youth.

Anyone who says a helmet saved their life is an idiot. Because helmets, according to him, cause more accidents. And it's always women, and it's because we're women. Oh, and helmet laws for motorcycles are wrong as well, and he never wears a helmet and is still alive.

Cowboys didn't die from head injuries, according to him? Head injuries from falling off horses were the MOST common cause of death amongst men in the wild west.

Oh, and people wear helmets to look good. Oh, yeah, my cheap every day schooling helmet looks so great.

Helmet wearers are also all insecure. And we don't pay enough attention because we're wearing helmets. We take short cuts. Sigh.

Dressage riders can't "compete" because our horses are all out of control, and he seems to think a full bridle is a torture device. Then again, I know English people who feel the same way about spade bits.

All women are ignorant.

At about 7:50, he stops ranting and gets to his point about idiots walking up to feral/range horses. And the worst part is, he's completely right about what he's saying - but 90% of people aren't going to listen to the seven minute plus sexist rant about helmets and dressage people.

And then he goes back to being sexist. "Let men be men and let women be women."

He hates breeches, too.

I want to challenge this guy...I'll take any horse he has to give me and I'll ride any trail he cares to offer on that horse. In jeans. In western tack.

I'm sure he's a decent horseman, and I am not one of those who goes around saying everyone has to wear a helmet. I think not wearing one is dumb. But his attitude is extremely dangerous.

A helmet is just a tool. So, for that matter is a full bridle or a spade bit, although both should be kept in the hands of people who knew what they were doing.

I'd have given him a lot more "benefit of the doubt" if he wasn't being so sexist.

No comments:

Post a Comment