Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Okay, This...

Woman is catching a horse out of a herd. The rest of the herd objects. I've had this happen to me.


This is not, quite, exactly how I would have handled it. I prefer to use my shoulder (body check) over pushing with both hands, which exposes your hands and the long bones of your arms to danger. If I know there's a horse inclined to behave like this in the group, then I don't go in there on my own - if I have to, I take a whip. You can move a horse away with a whip and your body language without needing to touch it, if you know how to use the right "alpha" body language.

What she did right was to deal with the aggression instantly, clearly, and without any hesitation or "niceness." You can't be nice to an aggressive horse. Furthermore, human "niceness" is equine "weakness." I'm not saying beat the crap out of your horse, but you have to show strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment