Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Fall Training

One of the things that annoys me about the horse industry in general is the lack of this:


Okay. Most of us can't afford a fall rig like this one. But many more places could put in the old school quick and dirty barrel on a log and pit of sand fall rig.

Fall training is a vital part of preventing injury, especially those injuries that a helmet can't do anything about.

To give an example, I got bucked off by a Quarter Horse - he meant business and was actually pissed off with me about something. I had a sore shoulder for three days.

Another rider got bucked off by a Paint Draft cross. The only difference between the falls was that her horse (who also meant business) was very slightly taller and it was in the indoor on footing not the outdoor on grass. She spent the night in the ER, got a moderate concussion and damaged her pelvis in a way that gave her a permanent limp.

Other difference? I've had fall training.

If your barn does not offer fall training (which can also be done using real horses if you have ones that are saintly enough) and you can't find one that does, then find a local dojo that teaches a "soft" style such as judo or ju-jitsu. They will often provide the training for a reasonable price - and really, would you want to spend the night in the hospital right before Christmas?

Eventually, tuck and roll becomes instinctive. You don't even need to think about it, and it reduces the risk of spinal injuries, long bone damage and even being stepped on by the horse (Smaller target). It's something instructors don't even like to bring up because they don't want to "scare" their students. Pheh.

If you ride, you will fall off. Doing it right is vital.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so bad at this. I grew up figure skating and I still fall like a figure skater - in that I think I will slide on the dirt and I brace with my wrist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't help that it's quite instinctive for us to put our hands out to save ourselves - which is the last thing you should actually do. I earned six weeks in a cast that way.

    ReplyDelete