Monday, June 10, 2013

Racing Is Dangerous

...but flat racing accidents have nothing on this:



The race starts out pretty normally with the truck pulling away safe and a decent field of pacers. I had to frame by frame it to see what happened. I honestly can't tell whether the second place horse, Getthemoney, just tripped or whether the two sulkies touched wheels. He picked himself up, having shed his driver. The horse behind collided...and massive pileup.

None of the horses appeared to be injured and I found a news story here that confirms only minor injuries. The drivers were less lucky - several of them were injured.

I once knew a Standardbred who was in an accident on the track. He never raced again despite being only minorly hurt...physically. He refused to be put to a sulky again, and I can't blame him.

The thing with driving is that you don't wreck as often, but when you do...well...it can be truly spectacular. This is why you wear a helmet, people.

1 comment: