Thursday, July 25, 2013

Another bad wreck

At the time, this video got a lot of press and demands to modify the races.


A little bit of analysis here. One of the wagon horses broke down. Because of the speed, the other three had no chance of avoiding it.

What bothered me at the time and still does is the outrider - I realize those horses are jazzed up, but he should have been able to avoid that.

I don't think this was an inherent problem to chuckwagon racing per se - it IS yet more proof that the most dangerous thing you can do with a horse is drive it at speed - but I don't think the sport is any more dangerous than, say, three-day eventing, in the grand scheme of things.

Even adding more breakaways to the harness (I don't know for sure, but I would be amazed if these people aren't using synthetic harness to save weight) probably wouldn't have helped in this situation.

(I do like the comment on the actual video's page that it's not a chuckwagon if it doesn't have cooking gear in it...)

No comments:

Post a Comment